The Extraordinary Dreams of Cynthia Peabody Review (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5 Stars) – Cozy, Heartwarming, and Wonderfully Weird
I went into The Extraordinary Dreams of Cynthia Peabody expecting to be... skeptical. ๐
Dream portals? Magical realism? A seventy-five-year-old heroine who may or may not be saving people while she's asleep? Those are usually ingredients that make me raise an eyebrow.
Instead?
I absolutely adored this book.
It somehow takes grief, mystery, magical realism, humor, friendship, and one very good dog and turns them into something that feels incredibly cozy. I stopped worrying about whether everything would eventually be explained and simply enjoyed the ride—and honestly, I think that's exactly how this story is meant to be experienced.
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5/5)
⚠️ Trigger Warnings
Cancer
Death of a spouse
Grief
Depression
Hospitalization
Brain aneurysm
Coma
Discussion of dementia/Parkinson's disease
Attempted sexual assault
Drug trafficking (fentanyl)
Violence
Home burglary/robbery
๐ Overview
The Extraordinary Dreams of Cynthia Peabody is the first book in Lynne Marshall's Cynthia Peabody series.
After losing her beloved husband, Art, to brain cancer, seventy-five-year-old Cynthia Peabody finds herself drifting through life, trying to figure out who she is without him. Then something impossible begins happening.
Her dreams don't stay in her dreams.
A mysterious dog appears after she dreams of rescuing him. Criminals are arrested exactly as she dreamed. People she saves while asleep somehow remember the elderly woman in the pink robe who rescued them.
Is Cynthia developing a neurological disorder?
Or has grief opened a door to something extraordinary?
๐จ Spoiler Warning ๐จ
From this point forward, there will be FULL SPOILERS, including the ending.
Seriously.
This review walks through the entire plot because there is simply too much fun stuff to talk about. ๐
๐ Losing Reality After Losing Someone
One thing I really appreciated about this novel is how believable Cynthia feels.
She's grieving.
Not in the tidy "I've cried and now I'm healed" kind of way.
She's lonely. She talks to her late husband. She struggles to imagine her future. She's preparing to leave the home she shared with Art, and she spends so much of her time reliving memories that reality itself starts feeling... slippery.
Honestly?
Even before the magical elements begin, I found myself thinking, yeah... this is probably what grief feels like.
When you've lost the person you've spent decades with, maybe reality isn't supposed to feel stable anymore.
That's what makes everything else work so well.
๐ถ Mr. Muddy Peabuddy Completely Stole the Show
Can we all agree that Mr. Muddy Peabuddy deserves unlimited treats? ❤️๐
Cynthia dreams about rescuing a chained blue merle dog.
The next morning...
...there he is.
Just sitting in her backyard.
I love books where animals aren't just accessories but become genuine companions, and Muddy quickly becomes exactly that. He helps pull Cynthia out of isolation and gives her someone to care for again.
He's basically emotional support wrapped in fluffy fur.
I am 100% on Team Muddy.
๐ด Dream Missions? Apparently That's Cynthia's Retirement Hobby ๐
The dreams gradually become more unbelievable.
One night she's scuba diving.
Another she's stopping fentanyl smugglers.
Then she's preventing an assault.
Then she's freezing criminals in place with what appears to be actual superpowers.
You'd think this would become ridiculous.
Instead... it somehow doesn't.
The pacing keeps moving so quickly that I never had time to stop and question the rules of the universe.
Normally I'd be the reader asking,
"Okay but HOW does this work?"
This time?
I genuinely didn't care.
Every chapter made me excited to see where Cynthia would end up next.
๐ง Science vs. Magic
One of my favorite aspects of the novel is that it never forces the reader into one interpretation.
Yes, Cynthia undergoes a sleep study.
Yes, doctors diagnose her with REM Behavior Disorder (RBD).
Yes, she's warned that this condition can sometimes precede illnesses like Parkinson's disease or Lewy body dementia.
There are perfectly reasonable medical explanations presented throughout the story.
Even Muddy's appearance gets a logical explanation when Cynthia discovers a hole under the fence that he could have crawled through.
But...
I don't buy it.
๐
Or rather...
I choose not to.
I know the medical explanations exist.
I know the book gives us reasons to doubt Cynthia.
I still believe her dreams were real.
And honestly, I think the story is much more magical if you let yourself believe alongside her.
๐ The Coma Sequence Was Surprisingly Emotional
Everything builds toward Cynthia trying to stop a department store robbery.
During the dream, she freezes the thieves, marks them with glowing green Xs, and gets hit in the head with a baseball bat.
Meanwhile, in real life...
...she suffers a brain aneurysm.
That transition was incredibly well done.
While Cynthia spends forty-five days in an induced coma, she walks through a long dark corridor before finally seeing Art waiting in the distance.
Instead of feeling scary, the entire sequence feels peaceful.
It's one of the most touching parts of the novel.
๐ Art's Ashes Broke My Heart (In the Best Way)
Throughout the book, Cynthia struggles to fulfill the promise she made to scatter Art's ashes at McWay Falls.
While she's in the coma, she experiences a vivid dream where she finally does it.
After waking, she assumes she still has to complete the task in real life.
Then comes my favorite reveal.
When she finally opens the bag...
it's already empty.
She realizes she truly scattered his ashes during her dream journey.
Whether you interpret that literally or symbolically, it's a beautiful moment.
It's also the moment where Cynthia finally begins moving forward instead of simply surviving.
๐ค Friendship Is Just as Important as the Magic
One thing I wasn't expecting was how much I enjoyed Cynthia's growing support system.
Juniper.
Cliff.
Ronnie.
Regina.
They never make Cynthia feel foolish.
Instead, they rally around her.
Watching her slowly rebuild a community after losing Art ended up being just as satisfying as all the dream adventures.
Sometimes healing isn't dramatic.
Sometimes it's simply finding people willing to sit beside you.
✨ The Ending
By the end of the novel, Cliff confirms that the department store robbers were found exactly as Cynthia dreamed—with glowing green Xs marking their hoodies.
For me, this completely tipped the scales.
Her dreams weren't just hallucinations.
Something extraordinary really was happening.
Nine months later, Cynthia and Muddy move into Green Meadows retirement community, where Ronnie also becomes a resident and Juniper joins the staff.
Instead of shrinking into old age, Cynthia begins a whole new chapter.
She even starts writing her memoir with the perfect opening line:
"Once upon a time... I became the unofficial Guardian Angel of Valle Pacifico."
I couldn't imagine a better ending.
It feels hopeful without pretending grief disappears.
Art is still gone.
Cynthia still misses him.
But now she has purpose again.
๐ญ Final Thoughts
I honestly expected this book to frustrate me.
Instead, I had an absolute blast.
It's cozy without lacking stakes.
Emotional without becoming depressing.
Magical without demanding that every mystery be neatly explained.
Most importantly, it has one of the most lovable older protagonists I've read in quite a while.
Sometimes a story doesn't need every answer.
Sometimes it just needs enough heart to make you stop asking questions.
This one definitely did that. ❤️
Final Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Highly recommended if you're looking for something comforting, imaginative, and just a little bit magical.
๐ If You Enjoyed This Book...
You might also enjoy:
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot by Marianne Cronin
The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett by Annie Lyons
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt
The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley
The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan

Comments
Post a Comment