The Husbands by Holly Gramazio Review (⭐✨ 1.5 Stars) – 200 Husbands Later... and That's the Conclusion? ๐คฆ♀️๐
If someone had told me this book was about a magical attic that keeps giving a woman an endless supply of husbands, I would've been completely on board. Weird? Absolutely. But weird can be amazing.
Instead... this somehow turned a wildly creative premise into one of the longest, most repetitive reading experiences I've had in a while. ๐
⭐ Rating: 1.5/5 stars
⚠️ Trigger Warnings
Emotional manipulation
Divorce
Infidelity references
Alcohol use
Drugging someone
Gun threats
Fire
Mild violence
Injury and hospitalization
Death of a pet (mentioned briefly)
Mental health themes
๐จ SPOILER WARNING ๐จ
This review contains FULL SPOILERS, including the ending.
If you haven't read The Husbands yet and don't want to know exactly what happens... this is your chance to escape through the attic. ๐
๐ Overview
The Husbands by Holly Gramazio is a work of magical realism centered around Lauren, a single woman who returns home one evening to discover she's apparently married... to a man she's never met.
Then things get stranger.
Whenever one husband climbs into the attic, a completely different husband comes back down. Every new husband arrives with an entirely rewritten version of Lauren's life, giving her what seems like unlimited chances to find the perfect partner.
It's basically dating apps turned into fantasy.
Which honestly sounds like it should have been a blast.
๐ค My Thoughts
Oh... I don't say this very often.
This book was pretty bad.
The frustrating part is that the idea itself is fantastic. You could do so many interesting things with this premise.
Instead...
It just keeps repeating itself.
And repeating itself.
And repeating itself.
And then, just when you think maybe we're finally going somewhere...
Nope.
Another husband. ๐
✂️ This Book Did NOT Need To Be 352 Pages
This is probably my biggest complaint.
For this particular story...
352 pages is just way too much.
I honestly don't understand why.
Look, I get it. Publishers probably aren't rushing to print a 150-page novel.
Add a little more character development.
Throw in another subplot.
Fine.
Make it 250 pages.
Maybe 300 pages if you really have to.
But 350+ pages??
It felt like the same cycle over and over:
New husband.
Lauren notices one annoying habit.
Send husband back.
Repeat.
After about the fifteenth husband I understood the concept.
After the fiftieth...
I REALLY understood the concept.
After what felt like husband number 200...
I was begging the attic to send me an editor.
๐
๐คท♀️ What Was The Point?
This is honestly what bothered me the most.
When I finished the book, I sat there asking...
"...okay?"
Was the message supposed to be:
Nobody is perfect?
Every relationship requires compromise?
Different partners bring out different versions of ourselves?
Too much choice makes us unhappy?
Because if that's the lesson...
Did we really need hundreds of husbands to get there?
The story keeps circling the same ideas without ever saying anything especially profound about them.
๐ฌ Lauren Was The Problem... Not The Husbands
This surprised me.
Going in, I expected to meet dozens of terrible husbands.
Instead...
Most of them seemed...
pretty decent?
Sure, some chewed loudly.
Some had annoying habits.
Some changed Lauren's lifestyle in ways she didn't like.
But honestly?
Most of these men deserved better than Lauren.
Lauren spends almost the entire novel judging everyone else.
She immediately dismisses people over incredibly superficial things.
Meanwhile...
I kept wondering...
Did it ever occur to Lauren that maybe SHE could become a better partner?
The book spends so much time asking what Lauren wants from a husband.
It rarely asks what a husband might reasonably want from Lauren.
That imbalance made her difficult for me to root for.
๐ Ironically... I Couldn't Stop Reading
Here's the funny thing.
I flew through this book.
Not because I was enjoying it.
Because I desperately wanted to know how this bizarre premise would end.
It became one of those books where curiosity completely overpowered enjoyment.
I had to know what the attic was.
I had to know why it existed.
I had to know if there would finally be some explanation.
So yes...
I read it ridiculously fast.
๐ Full Plot Summary (Spoilers)
Lauren returns home after a night out and discovers a man named Michael casually waiting inside her apartment. She sees she's wearing a wedding ring. Her phone shows their picture. Everyone she knows agrees they are married.
The only person who doesn't remember marrying Michael...
is Lauren.
The next day Michael climbs into the attic to change a light bulb.
A completely different man climbs back down.
Lauren soon realizes the impossible truth:
The attic magically replaces husbands.
Every time one husband enters the attic, another one appears, and reality rewrites itself so they've apparently always been married.
Lauren quickly begins experimenting.
She cycles through husband after husband, rejecting each one over habits, personalities, careers, lifestyles, or tiny annoyances.
One husband chews with his mouth open.
Another changes where she lives.
Another alters her career.
Every new husband comes with an entirely different version of Lauren's life.
For a while she likes Jason, a gardener whose warmth makes him popular with her family.
Then she gets annoyed.
Back to the attic he goes.
Later she falls for Carter, an American real estate agent.
For the first time she actually develops genuine feelings.
Unfortunately, Carter accidentally climbs into the attic while searching for their wedding album.
He's gone forever.
Lauren becomes obsessed with finding him again.
She continues replacing husbands while secretly checking online to see what version of Carter exists in each rewritten reality.
One memorable husband is Felix, an incredibly wealthy executive whose version of Lauren lives in a luxurious country estate complete with indoor pool and conservatory.
It seems perfect...
until Lauren discovers Felix is involved in unethical financial dealings.
Back to the attic.
Eventually Lauren meets Bohai, who reveals the biggest twist in the novel.
He's trapped too.
Unlike Lauren, however, Bohai isn't the homeowner.
He's the husband who keeps appearing in different women's lives.
He's experienced over 400 spouses.
The two spend months living together as friends, sharing stories about their bizarre situation before Bohai eventually disappears through the attic as well.
Later Lauren briefly finds herself married to her actual ex-boyfriend Amos, who is coincidentally already divorcing her in this version of reality.
She delays sending him away because she enjoys having a break from constant husband swapping.
Meanwhile she becomes obsessed with Carter and even flies to Denver to track him down.
She pretends to be relocating so he'll agree to meet her.
Unfortunately...
The Carter from this reality has absolutely no romantic interest in her.
He politely rejects her.
Lauren returns home devastated.
After finally getting rid of Amos—by drugging his coffee and manipulating him into returning to her apartment so he'll enter the attic—she receives another husband named Zach.
Things go especially badly.
Zach falls from the attic ladder, badly injures himself, and spends weeks recovering.
After recovering, he becomes terrified of the attic and absolutely refuses to go back up.
Lauren becomes increasingly desperate.
Eventually she steals an air gun from Felix's house and threatens Zach with it in order to force him upstairs.
Even that situation spirals into chaos involving her neighbor Toby.
By now Lauren has completely reached her breaking point.
She decides she's done with the attic forever.
Her newest husband, Sam, arrives.
Before she even properly meets him, she tricks him into leaving the apartment on an errand.
With Sam gone...
Lauren climbs into the attic herself.
Electrical failures begin happening around her.
She refuses to leave.
Eventually sparks ignite the attic.
The fire spreads.
The entire apartment burns.
Lauren escapes carrying only a handful of important possessions.
The attic—and hopefully its endless husband cycle—is destroyed.
The novel's final chapter switches to Sam's perspective.
He returns to find Lauren standing safely outside after the fire.
Rather than worrying about the apartment or his possessions, Sam simply tells her he's grateful she's alive.
He says he'd rather lose everything than lose her.
And that's where the story ends.
๐ค The Ending Explained
A lot of readers disliked the ending.
Honestly...
It didn't bother me.
But mostly because I wasn't enjoying the rest of the book anyway. ๐
Lauren's decision to destroy the attic is meant to symbolize finally rejecting the impossible search for perfection.
Throughout the novel, every tiny flaw became a reason to replace someone.
The attic represented endless choice.
And endless choice kept Lauren trapped.
By burning it down, she finally removes the temptation to keep chasing a hypothetical "perfect" husband who probably doesn't exist.
The final scene with Sam suggests Lauren may finally choose to build a real relationship instead of endlessly swapping partners.
Whether their marriage succeeds isn't really the point.
The point is that she has finally committed to living with one imperfect reality.
It's a perfectly reasonable ending.
I just wasn't invested enough for it to land emotionally.
๐ญ Final Thoughts
I genuinely wanted to love this.
The premise is incredibly original.
But originality can only carry a story so far.
For me, the novel became repetitive, overlong, and surprisingly shallow considering the fascinating ideas it introduces.
Ironically, the thing that kept me reading wasn't enjoyment.
It was pure curiosity.
I simply needed to know how this bizarre magical attic situation was going to end.
Unfortunately, getting there wasn't nearly as rewarding as I'd hoped.
⭐ 1.5/5 stars
๐ If You Liked The Premise, Try These Instead
If you're looking for books with parallel lives, alternate realities, or relationship "what ifs," I'd recommend:
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
This Time Tomorrow by Emma Straub
Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore
The Seven Year Slip by Ashley Poston
Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (if you want the alternate realities to actually melt your brain ๐)

Comments
Post a Comment