Imperium by Robert Harris Review (⭐⭐⭐☆☆ 3/5 Stars) | Ancient Rome Meets a John Grisham Legal Thriller
If you had asked me a week ago to name five things about Roman politics, I probably would have stared blankly before mumbling something about Julius Caesar, togas, and people dramatically yelling in Latin.
After reading Imperium, I can now confidently add "corruption," "courtroom drama," and "everyone secretly plotting against everyone else."
I still don't fully understand Roman politics... but I definitely had a good time trying. ๐
๐ Book Information
Title: Imperium
Author: Robert Harris
Genre: Historical Fiction
Setting: Ancient Rome (79–64 BCE)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐☆☆ (3/5)
⚠️ Trigger Warnings
Violence
Executions
Crucifixion
Suicide
Slavery
Political corruption
Murder
War
Racism
Sex references
Misogyny
Abuse of power
๐จ Spoiler Warning ๐จ
This review contains FULL spoilers, including the ending.
If you'd rather discover Cicero's political climb yourself, turn back now.
๐️ What Is Imperium About?
Imperium is the first book in Robert Harris's Cicero Trilogy, following the rise of the Roman lawyer and politician Marcus Tullius Cicero.
Instead of telling the story from Cicero's perspective, Harris cleverly lets Tiro—Cicero's enslaved secretary (who later became a freedman)—narrate the entire novel as an old man looking back on one of history's most remarkable political careers.
The novel follows Cicero from an ambitious young lawyer into the brutal world of Roman politics, where elections are bought, judges are bribed, generals threaten democracy, and speeches can be deadlier than swords.
Basically...
Ancient Rome was one giant political dumpster fire.
⚖️ My Thoughts
I went into this book knowing almost nothing about Roman history, and honestly?
I expected to be bored.
Instead, I found myself surprisingly invested.
Robert Harris has a real talent for making two thousand-year-old politics feel oddly modern. The campaigns, corruption, smear tactics, backroom deals, media manipulation (well... the Roman version of it), and courtroom battles often felt like something happening today.
Even more surprising?
Large sections of the novel felt less like historical fiction and more like a John Grisham legal thriller. ๐จ⚖️
Watching Cicero prepare cases, gather evidence, outsmart opposing lawyers, and completely dismantle corrupt politicians in court was genuinely entertaining.
I never expected to be cheering during legal speeches set before the birth of Christ.
✍️ The Writing
Harris writes in a very accessible style.
This isn't one of those historical novels where every page feels like homework.
The dialogue flows naturally, the pacing is steady, and the storytelling keeps moving.
In fact, one of the biggest surprises was just how contemporary everything felt. People are still ambitious. Politicians still make shady deals. Rich people still try to buy influence.
Apparently we've been recycling the same political problems for over two thousand years.
Progress. ๐
That said...
While I thought the writing was good, I never thought it crossed into great territory.
It never completely swept me away emotionally, and I occasionally felt like I was watching events unfold rather than fully living inside them.
๐️ Where It Lost Me
Roman politics is... a lot.
There are senators.
Generals.
Consuls.
Praetors.
Tribunes.
Aediles.
Quaestors.
Governors.
Aristocrats.
Populists.
And approximately six thousand men named Marcus.
Okay, slight exaggeration...
...but not by much. ๐
Keeping track of alliances, rivalries, offices, elections, and political maneuvering eventually became confusing.
I understood the broad picture, but many of the finer political details started blending together.
I'm sure readers already familiar with Roman history will get much more out of these sections than I did.
๐ Full Plot Summary (Spoilers)
The story begins with Tiro, Cicero's elderly former slave and lifelong secretary, deciding to record the truth about the man he served for decades.
As a young advocate, Cicero travels to Greece and Rhodes to improve his health and public speaking under the famous teacher Apollonius Molon, who predicts he will someday dominate Rome through rhetoric rather than military power.
Returning home, Cicero marries the wealthy Terentia, giving himself the financial standing necessary for a political career. After serving successfully as quaestor in Sicily, he becomes determined to build his reputation in Rome after realizing that almost nobody remembers his accomplishments.
His opportunity comes when Sthenius, a Sicilian friend, asks for help after the corrupt governor Gaius Verres steals his property, frames him for forgery, and sentences him to death. Cicero exposes Verres's corruption in the Senate, protects Sthenius, and ultimately agrees to prosecute Verres himself.
Traveling across Sicily, Cicero and Tiro gather mountains of evidence showing Verres's theft, extortion, bribery, and even the illegal execution of Roman citizens. Rather than giving lengthy speeches during the trial, Cicero surprises everyone by presenting witness after witness in rapid succession. The overwhelming evidence forces Verres to flee Rome before a verdict can even be reached.
The victory transforms Cicero into one of Rome's leading public figures.
As his career advances, Cicero becomes deeply involved with Rome's most powerful political figures, including Pompey, Crassus, and the young Julius Caesar. He repeatedly finds himself caught between rival factions as Rome becomes increasingly unstable.
Pirates threaten Roman trade, leading Pompey to seek extraordinary military powers through the Lex Gabinia. Although Cicero worries about concentrating too much authority in one man, he ultimately helps maneuver the legislation through political resistance.
Meanwhile, corruption only worsens. Elections are openly manipulated, powerful families buy influence, and ambitious politicians constantly scheme behind closed doors.
As Cicero campaigns for the consulship, he uncovers an enormous conspiracy involving Crassus, Catiline, Antonius Hybrida, and several other influential Romans. Using Tiro's remarkable shorthand system, the pair secretly records evidence of their meetings and exposes widespread election bribery.
Although Cicero never directly accuses Crassus publicly, the revelations shift political support in his favor. Former rivals throw their backing behind him, and despite being a "new man" with no noble ancestry, Cicero wins election as consul, Rome's highest political office.
The novel ends on a bittersweet note.
After celebrating his historic victory, Cicero privately admits to Tiro that success has come at a price. To secure aristocratic support, he has already promised political compromises that may conflict with his ideals. Tiro, writing decades later, reminds readers that both Cicero and the Roman Republic are ultimately doomed. Although Cicero has reached the height of his career, history already knows that Rome's democracy will eventually collapse into imperial rule.
Rather than serving as a complete ending, Imperium closes by setting the stage for the even greater political crises still to come.
๐ฏ Final Thoughts
I honestly wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did.
The combination of history, politics, and courtroom drama made for an engaging read, even for someone who started with almost no knowledge of ancient Rome.
The politics occasionally became difficult to follow, and while I admired Harris's writing, it never completely wowed me.
Still, if you've ever wondered what a John Grisham novel might look like if it were set in Ancient Rome, this comes surprisingly close.
And somehow...
It works.
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐☆☆ (3/5)
๐ If You Enjoyed Imperium, Try These
Lustrum (Conspirata) by Robert Harris
Dictator by Robert Harris
Pompeii by Robert Harris
I, Claudius by Robert Graves
Augustus by John Williams
Masters of Rome Series by Colleen McCullough
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (for another historical mystery with brilliant intellectual battles)
The Appeal by John Grisham (if the courtroom aspects were your favorite part)

Comments
Post a Comment