You with the Sad Eyes by Christina Applegate Review ⭐⭐✨ (2.5/5) | Honest Thoughts on a Memoir That Left Me Frustrated
Celebrity memoirs are some of my favorite books when they're done well. π They have the power to show us the messy, complicated person behind the public image, and the best ones leave me feeling like I've learned something about resilience, humanity, or even myself.
I had been looking forward to You with the Sad Eyes for quite a while.
I'm not a huge Christina Applegate fan, but I know plenty of people adore her. I watched a few seasons of Dead to Me, and I've followed the news surrounding her battle with multiple sclerosis (MS). One of my college roommates also lived with MS, so I already had a great deal of sympathy for what she's going through.
Unfortunately, while this memoir is undeniably engaging, it ultimately left me more frustrated than inspired.
⭐ Rating: 2.5/5
π Book Information
Title: You with the Sad Eyes
Author: Christina Applegate
Genre: Celebrity Memoir, Memoir, Nonfiction, Biography
Published: 2026
⚠️ Trigger Warnings
This memoir contains:
Domestic violence
Emotional abuse
Child abuse
Child sexual abuse
Suicide attempt
Addiction
Alcoholism
Drug abuse
Eating disorders
Depression
Mental illness
Cancer
Multiple sclerosis (MS)
Chronic illness
Death of loved ones
Sexual content
Strong language
π What Is You with the Sad Eyes About?
Spoiler Warning! π¨
This review contains major spoilers, including discussion of the ending.
You with the Sad Eyes is Christina Applegate's deeply personal memoir, written after her 2021 diagnosis with multiple sclerosis.
Rather than focusing solely on her Hollywood success, Applegate takes readers through the painful experiences that shaped her life.
She recounts growing up in an unstable home after her father left shortly after she was born. Her mother struggled with addiction and entered several abusive relationships, leaving Applegate exposed to neglect and abuse at an early age. She also discusses being sexually abused by neighborhood girls as a child, battling depression and an eating disorder during her teenage years, and throwing herself into acting as both an escape and a source of identity.
As her career takes off with Married... with Children, readers also see the darker side of fame. Despite becoming one of television's biggest stars, she privately struggles with self-worth and enters an increasingly violent relationship with an unnamed boyfriend.
The memoir devotes a significant portion to this abusive relationship, detailing repeated physical assaults, emotional manipulation, and numerous failed attempts by friends and family to help her leave.
Later chapters cover her breast cancer diagnosis, double mastectomy, finding lasting love with musician Martyn LeNoble, becoming a mother, and eventually receiving her devastating diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, which dramatically changes her life and career.
The memoir ends with Applegate reflecting on how chronic illness has forced her to stop performing, slow down, and finally examine the emotional wounds she's carried since childhood.
π My Thoughts
❤️ It's incredibly readable
Despite some of my criticisms, I flew through this memoir.
The chapters are not too long, conversational, and easy to digest. Even when I found myself disagreeing with Applegate's perspective, I kept turning the pages because I genuinely wanted to know what happened next.
This isn't a boring memoir by any stretch.
π️ The audiobook wasn't my favorite
I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Applegate herself.
Normally I love hearing memoirs in an author's own voice because it feels more intimate.
Unfortunately, I didn't particularly enjoy the narration here. Whether it was because of the effects of her MS or simply her delivery style, I found it somewhat monotone and difficult to stay immersed in for long stretches.
That said, I completely understand why many readers would still prefer hearing her tell her own story.
✍️ The writing feels...unfinished
This is probably my biggest issue from a purely literary standpoint.
The memoir jumps around constantly.
Yes, the overall story is mostly chronological, but Applegate frequently interrupts herself with journal entries, random memories, and present-day commentary before returning to earlier events.
Instead of feeling intentionally structured, it often felt like she was flipping through old diaries and writing down whatever memory happened to come next.
There's certainly honesty here.
I'm just not convinced there was enough editing to mold those memories into the strongest possible memoir.
π Where the memoir lost me
This is where my opinion may differ from many readers.
First, let me say this clearly:
I have enormous sympathy for victims of domestic violence.
Leaving an abusive relationship is incredibly difficult, and trauma profoundly affects decision-making. Nothing that happened to Applegate excuses the abuse she endured, and responsibility for the violence rests squarely with her abusive partner.
What I struggled with was not the fact that she stayed.
It was how she reflects on staying.
Throughout the memoir, Applegate describes horrific incidents.
Her boyfriend threatened her.
He beat her.
He terrorized her.
At one point, after attacking her during a family Christmas gathering, her mother and aunt called the police. Applegate begged officers not to arrest him. Her family insisted he leave. Instead, she chose to accompany him to a motel despite their desperate attempts to stop her.
That same night, she became convinced he intended to kill and rape her before finally escaping in a taxi.
And yet...the relationship continued.
Later, after another violent assault following the death of a close friend, she still didn't leave him.
Eventually, it was actor David Boreanaz who helped protect her and finally end the relationship.
Here's where I found myself frustrated.
Applegate writes about wanting someone to notice, intervene, and rescue her.
But...they did.
Her mother intervened.
Her aunt intervened.
Friends intervened.
Security intervened.
The police intervened.
David Boreanaz intervened.
People repeatedly tried to help her.
She simply wasn't ready to accept that help.
To me, a powerful memoir isn't about pretending we've always made good decisions.
It's about eventually recognizing our own role in them.
We all make terrible choices.
I've certainly made my share.
The problem is I think Applegate fails to display the level of self-accountability that would have made this section extraordinarily powerful.
Instead, I often felt she placed more emphasis on being failed by others than acknowledging how often she rejected the help already being offered.
Readers will undoubtedly interpret these chapters differently, but that was my biggest disconnect with the memoir.
π Sometimes it felt like it wanted my sympathy a little too much
There is absolutely no denying Christina Applegate has experienced profound trauma.
She survived childhood abuse.
She battled eating disorders.
She endured domestic violence.
She faced breast cancer.
She now lives with MS.
That's an unimaginable amount for one person.
But I couldn't shake the feeling that the memoir sometimes leaned a little too heavily into "look how much I've suffered."
Ironically, I think her story is already powerful enough.
It doesn't need to convince me to feel sorry for her.
I already do.
One of my favorite Chinese sayings is:
εδΊθ¦δΈθ¦,ζΉδΈΊδΊΊδΈδΊΊ.
Roughly translated, it means:
Only after enduring the greatest hardships can one rise above others.
Hardship doesn't automatically define us.
How we grow from it often does.
I wanted more reflection about how these experiences changed her thinking—not just how much they hurt.
To be fair, Applegate does spend a great deal of time reflecting throughout the memoir.
I simply didn't always agree with the conclusions she reached.
π― Final Thoughts
I suspect this memoir will resonate deeply with longtime Christina Applegate fans.
She's refreshingly candid, undeniably brave, and willing to discuss experiences many celebrities would never publicly share.
For me, however, honesty alone wasn't enough.
I wanted a tighter narrative.
I wanted deeper self-examination.
And I wanted more ownership of the choices that prolonged some of the darkest chapters of her life.
That doesn't erase my compassion for everything she's endured.
If anything, I finished the book hoping she continues healing—not just physically, but emotionally as well.
Because beneath all the pain is someone who has survived an incredible amount.
I just wish this memoir had explored that growth with a little more depth.
Final Rating: ⭐⭐✨ (2.5/5)
π If You Enjoy Celebrity Memoirs, Try These Instead
If you're looking for memoirs that I found especially compelling, I'd recommend:
Finding Me by Viola Davis
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Educated by Tara Westover
Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing by Matthew Perry
Open Book by Jessica Simpson
Have you read You with the Sad Eyes? I'd love to hear whether you agreed with Applegate's reflections—or if you came away with a completely different perspective. ππ

Comments
Post a Comment