The Bookbinder’s Secret Review (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐): Come for the Books, Stay for the Puzzle Obsession
If you hand me a mystery and then tell me I have to solve puzzles to solve the mystery... congratulations, you've found one of my favorite subgenres. ๐ Give me coded messages, hidden compartments, mysterious books, strange symbols, and people behaving suspiciously around old libraries, and I'm probably cancelling my plans for the day.
The Bookbinder's Secret absolutely scratched that itch.
This book hooked me almost immediately, and once it did, I couldn't read fast enough. There were honestly moments where I realized I'd been holding my breath because I was so desperate to know what the next clue meant. Every answer led to another question, every discovery opened another door, and I loved every second of it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 out of 5 stars.
๐ Book Information
Title: The Bookbinder's Secret
Author: A. D. Bell
Genre: Historical Mystery, Historical Fiction
Published: 2026 (US)
⚠️ Trigger Warnings
Violence
Murder
Physical assault
Emotional abuse
Forced marriage
Domestic abuse
Pregnancy
Pregnancy loss
Discussion of abortion
Death of a parent
Heart attack
Child endangerment
Substance use
๐จ Spoiler Warning ๐จ
This review contains FULL SPOILERS, including the mystery, hidden clues, major twists, and the ending.
If you haven't read the book yet...
๐ Go read it first.
๐งฉ Solve the puzzles.
๐ Then come back because there's a LOT to talk about.
What Is The Bookbinder's Secret About?
Set in England in 1901, the novel follows Lilian Delaney, a young apprentice bookbinder who unexpectedly receives a damaged novel by the mysterious author Abel Bell.
Inside the book?
Not just a story.
Hidden letters.
Secret codes.
Binder's marks.
Tiny pinprick patterns.
And one unforgettable sentence:
"I wish you hadn't killed him."
Naturally...
Lilian does what every sensible mystery-loving person would do.
She immediately starts investigating. ๐
Before long she's chasing six rare books across England while someone else is willing to threaten, assault, steal, and even kill to obtain them first.
❤️ My Thoughts
I have such a soft spot for mysteries built around puzzles.
Not "guess who the killer is" mysteries.
I mean actual puzzles.
Codes.
Hidden messages.
Secret compartments.
Objects that mean something once you finally put every piece together.
This book absolutely delivers.
Every time Lilian uncovered another hidden page or decoded another clue, I got that little dopamine hit that only puzzle books seem to provide. It never felt repetitive because every discovery pushed the mystery forward in meaningful ways.
And wow...
This book is ADDICTING.
I kept telling myself, "Just one more chapter."
Then suddenly it was four chapters later.
Oops. ๐
Lilian Is a Fantastic Heroine
Lilian is curious to a fault.
She keeps making decisions that any rational person would probably avoid...
"Someone just assaulted me over this mysterious book."
Normal person:
Maybe I should call it a day.
Lilian:
I should definitely steal another suspicious book.
๐
Yet somehow it works because her curiosity feels authentic. She's intelligent without being perfect, brave without being fearless, and genuinely loves books enough that every discovery feels exciting through her eyes.
๐ The Side Stories Were Surprisingly Great
While the central mystery completely stole the show, I also loved everything happening around it.
Harry.
Charlie.
Lilian's struggling relationship with her father.
The failing family bookshop.
Her growing confidence as a bookbinder.
Even the little romantic tension never overwhelmed the mystery.
The love triangle between Harry and Charlie was especially enjoyable because it never hijacked the story. It added warmth without becoming the main focus, and I found myself genuinely invested in who Lilian would choose.
I also really cared about what happened with her father. His storyline gave the novel emotional weight beyond the treasure hunt.
๐ Full Plot Summary (Spoilers)
Lilian Delaney is apprenticed to renowned Oxford bookbinder John Caxton while helping her widowed father run his struggling bookshop.
After receiving a damaged Abel Bell novel from Dr. Ashburn, she discovers hidden handwritten notes, coded pinpricks, and a mysterious binder's mark concealed inside the binding.
She learns that this book is only one of six specially prepared Abel Bell novels, each containing pieces of a larger secret.
As Lilian investigates, she encounters Charlie, an assistant at a London bookshop, and begins locating the remaining Bell books.
Unfortunately, someone else is searching for them too.
A violent man named Devlin repeatedly attacks Lilian, steals books from her, breaks into her home, assaults her, and eventually causes the events leading to her father's fatal heart attack.
Each newly discovered book contains additional handwritten pages telling the story of Isabel Chatton, a wealthy young woman living fifty years earlier.
The Story Hidden Inside the Books
The hidden testimony slowly reveals an extraordinary family tragedy.
Isabel falls deeply in love with William Heathfield despite her father's determination to marry her into wealth.
The two secretly marry and Isabel becomes pregnant.
Because the marriage is legal, their unborn child is the rightful heir to the enormous Chatton fortune.
This creates a huge problem.
Her father Malcolm—and later her uncle Silas Chatton—want complete control over the inheritance.
They force Isabel toward another marriage while plotting to eliminate William and eventually the child.
William kills Isabel's fiancรฉ Julian in a secret duel.
Silas later has William beaten to death.
Meanwhile, after Isabel gives birth to her son Isaac William, Malcolm orders Dr. Ashburn to kill the baby.
Instead, Dr. Ashburn secretly saves Isaac and raises him under another identity.
Before disappearing, Isabel carefully records her testimony, has it officially witnessed, and hides it—along with her marriage certificate and Isaac's birth certificate—inside six specially prepared Abel Bell novels.
The clues across all six books eventually reveal where Isabel herself has been hiding for over fifty years.
๐ฅ The Ending Explained
Eventually Lilian discovers the real mastermind behind everything.
Julia Chatton, Isabel's cousin, has spent years trying to recover the hidden documents because her own son's inheritance depends on Isabel's son never being recognized.
Julia hired Devlin to recover the books.
When Lilian confronts Julia, the hidden testimony is thrown into a fire during their struggle.
The house catches fire.
Julia dies in the blaze.
Although the written confession is destroyed, Lilian has already pieced together the truth.
After assembling all six books, she solves Isabel's final puzzle—an acrostic spelling out Athlow Grange.
There she discovers an elderly Isabel still alive after decades in hiding.
Lilian finally tells Isabel the incredible truth:
✅ Her son survived.
✅ William truly loved her.
✅ Her sacrifice wasn't in vain.
It's an incredibly satisfying emotional payoff after following Isabel's heartbreaking story for the entire novel.
Back in Oxford, John Caxton pays off Lilian's father's debts and offers her a partnership in the bindery and bookshop.
Harry and Lilian finally admit their feelings and decide to build a future together.
And because no great mystery lover ever truly retires...
Harry presents Lilian with yet another mysterious book.
Honestly, I laughed. ๐ Of course he does.
๐ญ Final Thoughts
This was exactly my kind of historical mystery.
The historical setting was fascinating.
The bookbinding details felt fresh and unique.
The puzzle-solving was genuinely engaging.
The mystery kept evolving instead of stalling halfway through.
And perhaps my favorite part was how everything actually fit together by the end. Every strange clue, hidden page, coded message, and obscure detail had a purpose.
That's incredibly satisfying.
If you enjoy books where you're solving the mystery alongside the characters, this one is ridiculously hard to put down.
I absolutely loved it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5 stars
๐ Books I'd Recommend If You Loved The Bookbinder's Secret
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafรณn
The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods
The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd
The Eight by Katherine Neville
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams
The Last Bookshop in London by Madeline Martin
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Cloisters by Katy Hays
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
Have you ever read a mystery where you actually got to solve puzzles along with the characters? Those are always my weakness. Let me know your favorites—I clearly need more of them! ๐๐งฉ๐

Comments
Post a Comment