My Sister's Keeper Review ⭐⭐☆☆☆ (2/5) | A Powerful Premise That Lost Me Along the Way
Jodi Picoult has built a career around asking impossible moral questions, and My Sister's Keeper might be the most famous example. It's emotional. It's thought-provoking. And it tackles a subject that no parent would ever want to face.
For me, though... this one was a frustrating read.
Maybe part of that is personal. My father died from leukemia, so the medical side of this story hit closer to home than most books ever could. I understand that families facing terminal illness make impossible choices every single day. I appreciated how respectfully Picoult portrayed that struggle.
But despite all that... I just never found myself emotionally invested.
Instead, I kept checking how much of the book I had left. ๐ฌ
⚠️ Trigger Warnings
๐ฉธ Leukemia
๐ฅ Cancer treatments
๐ Medical procedures
๐ซ Organ donation
๐จ๐ฉ๐ง Family conflict
๐ข Child illness
⚖️ Medical emancipation
๐ Fatal car accident
๐ Death of a child
๐ง Brain death
⚰️ Grief
๐ฅ Arson
๐ญ Suicidal ideation and suicide attempt (discussed)
๐ What Is My Sister's Keeper About?
Thirteen-year-old Anna Fitzgerald was conceived for one purpose: to save her older sister Kate, who has leukemia.
Throughout her life Anna has donated everything from umbilical cord blood to bone marrow and blood cells to keep Kate alive. Now Kate's kidneys are failing, and Anna's parents expect her to donate one of hers as well.
Instead...
Anna hires a lawyer and sues her own parents for medical emancipation, hoping to gain the legal right to make decisions about her own body.
It's a premise that immediately grabs your attention because there really isn't an easy answer.
Who is right?
The parents trying to save one child?
Or the child who wants ownership over her own body?
That's exactly the kind of moral gray area Jodi Picoult usually excels at.
๐จ Full Spoilers Below!
Seriously...
This review discusses the entire book, including the ending.
You've been warned. ๐
๐ Full Plot Summary (Spoilers)
Anna has spent her entire life undergoing painful procedures to keep Kate alive.
Her mother Sara believes every sacrifice is justified if it means saving Kate. Her father Brian is far more sympathetic toward Anna but usually avoids confronting Sara directly.
Meanwhile, oldest brother Jesse has essentially become invisible. Since he can't medically help Kate, he acts out in increasingly dangerous ways, secretly setting abandoned buildings on fire while his firefighter father unknowingly investigates the blazes.
Anna hires attorney Campbell Alexander, who agrees to represent her despite her only bringing $137 in carefully saved cash.
Sara is horrified and immediately begins trying to convince Anna to drop the lawsuit.
The judge appoints Julia Romano as guardian ad litem to determine what's best for Anna. Julia also happens to be Campbell's former girlfriend, which creates another subplot as the two slowly reconnect.
As Kate's kidneys continue failing, the pressure on Anna grows.
Doctors testify.
Psychologists testify.
Family members testify.
Everyone debates whether Anna is old enough to refuse the kidney donation.
Then comes the biggest revelation in the book.
During cross-examination, Anna finally admits...
She isn't filing the lawsuit because she doesn't want to donate.
She's doing it because Kate asked her to.
Kate is exhausted.
She's tired of hospitals.
Tired of surgeries.
Tired of fighting.
She doesn't want another transplant.
And honestly...
That revelation made perfect sense to me.
If you've been battling leukemia for years, endured countless treatments, and your quality of life has become miserable, it's believable that you'd eventually say, "I'm done."
I actually became more interested at this point because I thought...
"Oh! THIS is what the book is really about."
Surely now we're going to explore whether it's right to continue saving someone who no longer wants to be saved.
But...
The book never really dives into that question in the way I expected.
Instead, the courtroom drama simply keeps moving forward.
Judge DeSalvo ultimately grants Anna medical emancipation...
...sort of.
He decides she's still too young to make these decisions entirely alone, so he appoints Campbell as her medical power of attorney.
Which immediately made me scratch my head. ๐ค
Campbell has spent the entire trial arguing that Anna deserves the right to choose.
Then he's handed the power to make the decision...
...and says he won't make it because that would defeat the whole purpose of fighting for Anna's autonomy.
So...
We're basically right back where we started.
At that point I honestly wondered what the entire legal battle had accomplished.
๐ The Ending Completely Lost Me
And then...
We arrive at the ending.
Anna and Campbell are driving home from court.
It's raining.
A truck loses control.
They crash.
Anna is declared brain dead.
Since she can no longer make medical decisions...
Campbell authorizes organ donation.
Kate receives Anna's kidney.
She survives.
Years later we learn:
❤️ Kate remains healthy and becomes a dance teacher.
๐จ Brian struggles with alcoholism after Anna's death but eventually recovers.
๐ฉ Sara slowly learns to live with her grief.
๐ Jesse graduates from the police academy.
๐ Campbell and Julia get married.
The end.
๐คท Why the Ending Didn't Work for Me
This is where my rating really fell.
I know this ending is famous.
I also know plenty of readers found it devastating.
I mostly found it... convenient.
It felt like the novel spent hundreds of pages building an impossible ethical dilemma...
only to sidestep it at the last second.
Instead of answering the difficult question—or even letting the characters continue living with the consequences of that question—the story introduces a completely unrelated tragedy that conveniently solves everything.
Kate gets her kidney.
Anna never has to choose.
The parents never have to accept Anna's decision.
The court's ruling barely matters.
Everyone's moral conflict is essentially erased by a random accident.
I realize life can be random and cruel. Accidents happen.
But from a storytelling perspective, this felt less like a natural conclusion and more like pressing the giant "Resolve Plot Immediately" button. ๐
I finished the book thinking...
"Wait... that's it?"
The more I sat with it over the next day, the more frustrated I became.
In fact, I originally planned to give this 3.5 stars.
Then I kept replaying that ending in my head.
Then I kept thinking about how the story never fully explored Kate's desire to stop treatment after that huge revelation.
Then I thought about the judge's oddly circular decision.
Eventually I realized...
Nope.
This wasn't a 3.5-star experience for me at all.
๐ Final Thoughts
There's no denying that Jodi Picoult is an excellent writer.
She knows how to build morally complicated situations that spark discussion, and I completely understand why My Sister's Keeper has remained one of her most talked-about novels for over twenty years.
The premise is outstanding.
The ethical questions are fascinating.
The courtroom scenes are compelling.
I just wish the novel had trusted those difficult questions enough to actually wrestle with them all the way to the finish line instead of taking what felt to me like an emotional shortcut.
Sometimes the hardest endings are the most satisfying.
This one chose a different road—and unfortunately, it wasn't one I wanted to follow.
⭐ Rating: 2/5
๐ If You Enjoyed (or Wanted More From) This...
If you're looking for emotionally complex family dramas or morally challenging stories, I'd recommend:
Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult
The Pact by Jodi Picoult
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
They all explore difficult choices, family relationships, illness, or grief in ways that stayed with me long after I finished reading.

Comments
Post a Comment